The latest from Atlas

Wednesday 21 May 2014

Hello Wes!

The new governor
As we said goodbye to Amy yesterday (with a total of seven dunks in Lake Wakatipu) today we say hello to Wes, our new General Manager whilst Amy's abroad.

Below is a Q&A with Wes so you can get to know your new governor a little better...


Tell us a bit about yourself...

I'm Canadian and I grew up in a small town just outside of Toronto, Ontario and I love the outdoors and working with people. My previous employment positions include swim instructor, wakeboard instructor, white water rafting guide and nearly every position with regards to restaurants and bars.


What's the beer like where you are from? Also, what's your favourite beer from home?

It's always cold beer in Canada. If I'm not drinking Tim Hortons while riding my dog sled to work I usually drink Rickards Red, which is a classic amber ale. Or Rickards White which is a flavourful wheat beer best served with a slice of lemon. 

Like many North Americans I love hops so pale ales and IPAs are always a favourite. Sleeman's Honey Brown, Creemore Springs Brewery and maple syrup are also up there!


What brought you to QT? What other countries have you visited?

Queenstown was always in my sights and I always intended to get here, settle in, do a Winter season and then just see where the town leads me. After two years in Australia it will be nice to see snow again!

The first country I travelled to was Costa Rica to do some volunteering and I haven't really stopped since... USA, Germany, Switzerland, France, England, Turkey, Greece, Bali, Fiji, New Caledonia, Italy, Australia, Vanuatu, Croatia and Bermuda. There's still so much more to see though.


How did you end up working at Atlas?

When I first got to town, instead of going door-to-door with my resume I wanted to find a place that I really liked. I discovered Atlas and loved it so I approached Amy about the possibility of work. She checked out my resume, gave me a trial and 5 months later I am here with a whole new family!


MTB-er, skier or boarder?

Snowboarder the whole way. We don't have the biggest hills close to my home town but I was lucky enough to get an amazing season in at Whistler.


Any other hobbies?

Yep, I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. I played American football and rugby at school. Throughout Uni I did some practical courses - rock climbing, white water canoeing/kayaking, winter camping etc. I really enjoy water/board sports - white water kayaking, surfing, snowboarding and wakeboarding. Basically anything outdoors will do it for me.


What's on your iPod right now?

My friends would not be surprised to find Bob Marley on my iPod. After that anything goes...it depends on the day.


What's your favourite beer at Atlas?

This is a tough one. I would have to say the Mischievous Kea is one a beer I can always count on. I'm loving the London Porter right now, it's great for winter. I enjoy the rest of the Emerson's brews too.


And finally, how do you like your Atlas steak cooked?

There's so much time put into an Atlas steak, many people don't realise this. After watching the hours the chefs put into the demi glace, the Cafe de Paris butter and the preparation of the meat - it's made me appreciate it even more. For $19.50 you just can't go wrong and I'll take mine rare, thanks.